Fashion: Fall Seven Times

DIY boots! I recently wore this on a windy day to a brunch in Soho with some friends. It was unseasonably warm out a couple weeks ago and I got so excited I decided to put on some flowery shoes! These shoes are actually really comfortable but I had to glue them up a bit more to stop all the fraying. Hopefully the stubborn, crazy strong E-6000 glue holds because I can’t give these shoes up. They’re too pretty.

I can’t wait for spring to really come!

1 3 4 5 6 7 8

shoes DIY, top from Garage, skirt from H&M, jacket from Charade

“The secret of life, though, is to fall seven times and to get up eight times.”
― Paulo Coelho, Alchemist

DIY: I put flowers on my feet

Over the weekend I sat down and devoted some hours to doing these DIY tapestry boots. I had the day to myself and the whole first season of The OC to watch (it was a great day). I had recently ordered a pair of boots and some tapestry fabric cheaply in order to recreate a pair of Jeffrey Campbells that aren’t available anymore. As an added bonus, with all the supplies, these boots only cost me about $50. It was my birthday present to me 🙂 Take a look at my DIY tapestry boots!

DIY tapestry boots

Read More »

DIY: Lisa Makes Shoes

Didn’t I promise pretty shoes? Apart from my book obsession, I also tend to like the shoes a little too much. A couple years ago, I found tapestry floral heels online but I was about a season too late and the shoes had sold out in my size. I looked everywhere, for weeks, to find lookalikes or even secondhand pairs. I haunted Polyvore, eBay, Poshmark, etc., all to no avail.

Finally, I got the idea that I should just make my own.

They’re tapestry, right? So all I have to do is buy the shoe, cut the fabric, and somehow fuse them together. I did some research and found this great article at BurdaStyle which walked me through the whole process. Luckily, my sister has an undergraduate degree in fashion design from FIT. So I knew what “seam allowance,” Modge Podge, and muslin were, and it also meant that I had most of the supplies just laying around the house.

For the fabric, I shopped at my local fabric stores but couldn’t find anything I liked. Instead, I chose to recycle an old floral skirt that I didn’t think I’d wear anymore. I buckled down one evening, slid in a disc of Gilmore Girls, and the things were finished in a couple sittings.IMG_1909

I began with a discounted pair of black heels I found at DSW. They’re JellyPop shoes and made of synthetic materials, which I found conducive to craft/fabric glue. I also had X-Acto knives lying around which was useful to cut away any gluey bits after the fabric was adhered. I also bought Matte sealer but found that the fabric turned dark and pill-y when I sprayed it on one shoe to test, so I had to redo that shoe.

IMG_1916

The shoes have this lovely scalloped trim on the edges that I chose to preserve, so I carefully covered the trim with some Scotch tape.

IMG_1923

Then I had to measure each portion of each shoe, from the side left and right, to the heel, and the toe, in order to make muslin patterns. I measured each shoe separately to make sure it was accurate and gave myself about a centimeter seam allowance to account for any mistakes and to make sure the edges were smooth after I glued.

IMG_1922

It took a while…

IMG_1085IMG_1086IMG_1087

Finally, I got the fabric pieces measured and cut to proper sizes, and I could start gluing. I folded down the seam allowance and used a clothing iron to flatten the edges to make the shoes look seamless.

IMG_1089IMG_1095IMG_1100

My sister said they’d fall apart but it’s been almost two years, and I’ve worn them dozens of times (though never in the rain) and they still look great!