New Look // Mixing Patterns: Blue Stripes & Pink Florals

Hey everybody! It’s officially the season for summer dresses. This time of year I always stock my closet with versatile, lightweight, and girly summer dresses that make getting ready, whether for work or play, a total breeze. I played around wit mixing patterns today, pairing this beautiful, fit-and-flare blue striped dress with pink floral heels, combining some of my favorite style elements: florals, full skirts, and a contrasting color palette. Hope you like!

img_0515Read More »

New Look // Classic & Trendy LBD with pattern mixing

There’s nothing better than a little black dress. It’s always in style, it’s always flattering, and it’s always versatile. Here’s one I just bought that is flattering for my body type and even incorporates some trendy touches that I happen to love, namely, the tie at the neck and the billowy sleeves! The skater skirt is perfect for night and day, and I can even pull this off at work, maybe with a structured blazer?

winter style floral shoes-17

Read More »

I rock a lot of polka dots: "New Girl" Shoes

Welcome to my third DIY shoe adventure. Back in April, I came across another pair of black heels in DSW that were too plain to be borne, but they had these gorgeous cut-outs and a ribbon tie. They were the cousins of the floral shoes I upcycled last year and I got so excited at the prospect of creating another beautiful pair of shoes! I knew that this time I should do something other than a floral pattern, even though it was hard to keep myself from reaching for another piece of floral fabric. I ended up choosing a black fabric with white polka dots, fabric that was actually a romper from Forever 21!

This project happened to coincide with my discovery of New Girl. I had never watched it faithfully before and I took the time to marathon-watch it, and it became one of my favorite shows! Now, whenever I wear those shoes I think of New Girl: they even remind me of Jess’s polka-dot heavy wardrobe and her whimsical wit.

Here’s the before and after:

New Girl Shoes IMG_1614See more!

As you can see, I couldn’t stop myself from adding little panels of floral fabric! I cut out a couple pieces of floral lace from an old skirt (again) and glued them to the inside panels of both shoes, so they’re almost hidden. I like how it turns these normal (ish) polka-dot patterned shoes into something a little more unique. I also used the buttons from the romper as accents on the sides of each shoe.

IMG_1629Picture: my two loves–books and style. I was reading The Lord of the Rings at the time!

via

DIY: Lisa Makes Shoes

Didn’t I promise pretty shoes? Apart from my book obsession, I also tend to like the shoes a little too much. A couple years ago, I found tapestry floral heels online but I was about a season too late and the shoes had sold out in my size. I looked everywhere, for weeks, to find lookalikes or even secondhand pairs. I haunted Polyvore, eBay, Poshmark, etc., all to no avail.

Finally, I got the idea that I should just make my own.

They’re tapestry, right? So all I have to do is buy the shoe, cut the fabric, and somehow fuse them together. I did some research and found this great article at BurdaStyle which walked me through the whole process. Luckily, my sister has an undergraduate degree in fashion design from FIT. So I knew what “seam allowance,” Modge Podge, and muslin were, and it also meant that I had most of the supplies just laying around the house.

For the fabric, I shopped at my local fabric stores but couldn’t find anything I liked. Instead, I chose to recycle an old floral skirt that I didn’t think I’d wear anymore. I buckled down one evening, slid in a disc of Gilmore Girls, and the things were finished in a couple sittings.IMG_1909

I began with a discounted pair of black heels I found at DSW. They’re JellyPop shoes and made of synthetic materials, which I found conducive to craft/fabric glue. I also had X-Acto knives lying around which was useful to cut away any gluey bits after the fabric was adhered. I also bought Matte sealer but found that the fabric turned dark and pill-y when I sprayed it on one shoe to test, so I had to redo that shoe.

IMG_1916

The shoes have this lovely scalloped trim on the edges that I chose to preserve, so I carefully covered the trim with some Scotch tape.

IMG_1923

Then I had to measure each portion of each shoe, from the side left and right, to the heel, and the toe, in order to make muslin patterns. I measured each shoe separately to make sure it was accurate and gave myself about a centimeter seam allowance to account for any mistakes and to make sure the edges were smooth after I glued.

IMG_1922

It took a while…

IMG_1085IMG_1086IMG_1087

Finally, I got the fabric pieces measured and cut to proper sizes, and I could start gluing. I folded down the seam allowance and used a clothing iron to flatten the edges to make the shoes look seamless.

IMG_1089IMG_1095IMG_1100

My sister said they’d fall apart but it’s been almost two years, and I’ve worn them dozens of times (though never in the rain) and they still look great!