I am happy to share that Ajah Wallace over at Le Non Cote has nominated me for a Liebster Award. This is my first blogging award and it’s such a pleasure to know that others read and appreciate what I post here. It’s a tiny corner of the Internet but it feels sacred to me! So, per the rules of this little community tradition, I must share 11 facts about myself, answer 11 questions, and nominate 11 others and ask them questions. Let the games begin!
Facts about myself:
- I was the first person to wear glasses in my school. I was 6 years old and I felt really mature for needing glasses. Everyone made a fuss.
- I hate cracking the spines of books and will read really big books by just peering through a six-inch gap. Les Miserables is coming along nicely this way 🙂
- I cannot do simple addition/subtraction without a few seconds’ concentrated effort but I really enjoyed my high school calculus class.
- My parents are both Italian immigrants and a lot of my family is still in Italy. I’m half Barese and half Sicilian, but I still can’t tan in summer.
- I cannot speak Italian as well as I want to. It’s so hard to get going when you’re afraid to make a mistake!
- I have an occasional stutter that made giving presentations in college a lot more interesting.
- My toes are double jointed.
- My favorite band is Muse, but they’ve been disappointing me for years.
- I’m a part-time waitress at my family-owned restaurant that has been in business for almost 40 years. Yes, I can make you a decaf cappuccino with amaretto, like a boss.
- I spontaneously get “Sleepyhead” by Passion Pit stuck in my head all the time.
- I’m a sucker for a good love story but I hate romantic comedies.
The questions asked me by Ajah:
1. What made you want to start a blog? I have always wanted to have a fashion blog but I started this one with literature because I really love to discuss books and ideas. After graduating college and not having a job right away, I started a blog initially to share literary thoughts with others. Over time, I incorporated my other interests and now I love what I have created.
2. Favorite ice cream flavor? Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Fudge Brownie. If I have a pint in the house, I invariably hide it from my family.
3. What is your guilty pleasure? Oooh, hmm. I’m addicted to Chopped, but I’m not even remotely guilty about that. I also think that guilty pleasures are silly. If you like something, don’t feel bad about it!
4. What is your favorite fashion season and why? Spring! I love the mix of styles and trends you can get away with in spring. Florals and pastels are in, but it’s still cool enough to wear tights. I love it.
5. Top 3 items you cannot do without? A notebook, a good sharp ballpoint pen, and a hair clip.
6. Who is your fashion icon? This is a toughy. I don’t necessarily share her style but I’d have to say Zooey Deschanel. She makes her own trends and always looks fabulous.
7. Coke or Pepsi? I hate soda!
8. Where is somewhere you have always wanted to visit? India and Iceland. London is also my favorite city after New York.
9. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Living in an apartment somewhere in New York with lots of books and a cat. And a fridge full of beer.
10. Biggest Pet Peeve? When people put double spaces in between their sentences. It’s wrong, people. It’s just wrong.
11. What advice can you give to new bloggers? Write and post about what you love, and don’t be afraid to meet new people!